Preparing for IVF
In vitro fertilization (IVF) treatment can be both physically and emotionally demanding, but there are steps you can take to prepare yourself for the IVF journey and maximize your chances of a successful, healthy pregnancy.
How to Prepare for IVF
Before you start your IVF journey, we recommend that you prepare your body for treatment in the following ways:
- Eat a healthy, well balanced diet.
- Start taking prenatal vitamins.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Stop smoking, drinking alcohol and recreational drugs.
- Avoid travel to any countries or regions that may put you at risk of exposure to Zika or other significant infectious diseases, which could delay treatment.
- Reduce or eliminate your caffeine intake.
Managing Stress Before & During the IVF Process
In addition to the steps you can take to physically prepare for IVF, we also recommend the following to decrease your stress and anxiety levels before and during your IVF journey. Meditation, journaling and joining an infertility support group are healthy outlets to manage the stress that comes with fertility treatments.
Many of our patients also turn to holistic and complementary techniques and therapies, such as yoga and acupuncture, to help reduce anxiety and stress and to help increase their chances of having a successful IVF cycle.
Yoga and Fertility Treatment
Yoga is increasingly recommended for people trying to conceive, because it helps relieve stress that can accompany fertility challenges and because the many therapeutic benefits may enhance fertility. The benefits of yoga for IVF treatment include:
- Increased blood flow to reproductive organs
- Decreased tension in hips and pelvis
- Reduced stress – which in turn can help decrease cortisol levels
- Better endocrine function and hormonal balance
- Overall toning and muscle strengthening
- Reduce discomfort associated with IVF cycles
- Greater peace and ability to relax
Acupuncture and Fertility Treatment
In acupuncture, very fine sterilized needles are inserted into specific points on the body that have been empirically proven effective in treating certain disorders. New studies have shown that acupuncture administered immediately prior to, and immediately after embryo transfer during in vitro fertilization, may improve a woman’s chance of pregnancy by relaxing the patient and improving blood flow to the uterus.
Educate Yourself on the IVF Process
Some of the fear and anxiety that comes with IVF, stems from uncertainty about the process and potential side effects of treatment. Before starting IVF, we recommend watching the following IVF Journey video to help you understand the steps of the various steps that take place during IVF.
We understand that fertility treatment can be a complex process, so don’t be afraid to ask for help. If you have any questions about the IVF process or would like to start your IVF journey with CCRM, please contact us today.